Category Archives: Projects
DIY Screens for Pilothouse Doors
Magnolia, a 1997 Kadey Krogen 42, has a raised pilothouse with two side doors. Being averse to biting black flies, I wanted screens before going down the Delaware Bay - a known fly habitat. No one seems to enjoy their visits as they arrive in swarms. I completed the first phase of the screens before we left the Chesapeake Bay bound for the Great Lakes. Reporting no flies aboard to date.
The screen material is cut the actual size I wanted with a two inch binding top and bottom which I made from Sunbrella and a 1" Sunbrella binding on the sides. The material is Phifertex white 54". This is the basic Phifertex which will allow more air flow, but may not keep out any noseeums. For noseeums, I'd spray the mesh with "Shoo-Fly". Primarily Read more [...]
Line Lock Covers
More covers. Everything teak needs a cover from the sun. Handrails, winches and line locks. The two line locks on the aft cabin deck got new varnish, hence, new covers.
Basically, I made a box cover to slip over the top. Using a "boxing strip" for the top and forward and aft sides; I sewed the top to a side panel; then carefully lined up and sewed the forward and aft side strips to the side panel. Repeat for the other side. After testing the fit, I hemmed all around the base/opening, trimmed the corners, and carefully pushed out the corners with the blunt end of the seam ripper. (You could use your fingers or a pencil eraser.) That's it. The Captain used wire ties to secure the cover to the base. You could add snaps Read more [...]
It All Started with…Toast
It all started with the Captain’s morning toasted bagel, his usual breakfast. I have used my Force 10 broiler for his toast since we moved aboard in September 2013 almost daily. (The Force 10 Gourmet Galley two burner range model #63251 with an electronic (momentary) ignition was installed new June 2013.) The toasting process started getting longer, then the electric broiler igniter was working sporadically. I could light it with a butane lighter. Then it stopped. No toast. Yes, I know I can toast in a dry skillet. Or use a “camp-type” toaster, which we tried – it works ok, but it’s a hot tool sitting atop the stove – not my preference for underway use - although the Captain likes it. Those were options, but I wanted Read more [...]
Baby Blanket–Crocheting for Fun and for Good
Here’s a fun and productive craft project. A crocheted baby blanket.
No, we don’t have any surprising news. This just seemed like a manageable project to do aboard the boat. I selected a fairly simple shell pattern so I wouldn’t have to think too much or remember where I was in the pattern when I picked it up again. The author of the pattern titled it her five day blankee - well - not me. I picked it up from time to time, so I’m not sure how long it really took me, but it wasn’t any five days. I started over twice. The second time I got the rhythm of the pattern.
I have crocheted basic projects from time to time. It had been awhile since I had picked up Mom’s crochet hooks. She always had a crocheting project Read more [...]
These everyday kitchen scrubbies are simple to crochet or knit and inexpensive to make. The key is to use tulle strips about 3” wide. You can find tulle rolls on Amazon, Walmart, and craft stores.
Often the tulle rolls are sold in 6” widths. You can cut the tulle like I did with scissors or cut the roll of tulle the smart way like my friend, Michele, did. She used an electric kitchen knife. Her trick is to cut the strips 1 1/2’' wide and use two different colors. The effect is cute and clever. If you just use one small strip, the scrubbie seems a bit wimpy according to Michelle. Plus mixing two color strips looks very nice. I have just been using a single 3” strip. You can roll the tulle into balls or just leave Read more [...]