We departed our homeport of Galesville, MD on Labor Day and have faced days of challenging weather the whole trip and most recently a near miss by Hurricane Joaquin. We have been moored to a floating dock Some may have seen the below on Facebook.
Magnolia is going to ride out the Joaquin “event” in Swansboro NC. We are moored at a municipal concrete floating dock with a double width slip. Sails secured, lines ready and enclosure down tomorrow as forecast warrants. Family and land refuge walking distance away. Current metric is 8 models pass over or south of Cape Hatteras. This is our metric for things looking better or looking worse! Vessel & Crew are well.
Sadly our storm model metric took a bad hit this afternoon. Over 20 models indicate Joaquin will pass south and west of Cape Hatteras. That is certainly a negative for us but we are preparing the best we can and will head for safety at the appropriate time…promise. Still a ways off, so we will see.
09:00 Well there is good news and very little news. Because of the complexity of this storm we still do not know where or IF Joaquin will come ashore. That is the little news. The good news is about half of the ensemble models show him heading offshore. That pulls the consensus estimate off shore which is good news. Preparations continue with the enclosure curtains removed last evening. Vessel and crew well.
17:00 The news continues in a favorable direction. Granted we are one model run from the story changing but at least at this moment things are looking a bit more favorable. Granted its a little subjective looking at the wider model population but there is no arguing the NOAAs forecast has moved east…keep your fingers crossed this trend continues!
09:30 – Friday We have a big sense of relief on Magnolia this morning that it appears most of our preparations will not be required as our Jaoquin event continues to move off shore. As our weather guy Chris Parker said, “Could Joaquin still hit US E Coast? It would take a major surprise to bring Joaquin to the US E Coast.” Music to our ears! Thanks for all the good thoughts and keep your fingers crossed!
HOPEFULLY we will get a break enough in the weather to start moving again tomorrow, wish us luck! Vessel and Crew are well.