When we had the new enclosure made I asked the fabricator for some of the old vinyl knowing how expensive it can be. I thought there should be enough of it in reasonable shape to use to recycle into a new chart cover. The chart cover that came with our chart is flimsy and gets ripped a bit more each time we use it. I had taped the sides about as much as I could. The new one is pretty tough since the vinyl I’m guessing is 30 or 40 gauge. It’s a bit heavy. You probably don’t need 40 gauge! I made it and extra 1-2 inches larger than the chart to make sure it would be easy to get the chart in and out. It was a pretty straightforward project.
– Vinyl leftovers (12-20 gauge should work well)
– Large needle (#20) and heavy-duty thread
Take your chart and lay it on the vinyl. Mark the vinyl with grease pencil adding about 1 1/2 – 2″ extra on the sides and top. Leave 4-6″ longer on one piece for a flap. Cut with heavy-duty scissors. You can trim the flap at an angle or round the edges since they are a bit “sharp”. Stitch about 1/4″ in from the edge using a larger-sized needle (e.g., #20). You could stitch and then trim if that would be easier. (The Sailrite stitched through two layers of vinyl like “butta.”) Cover the cut edges with binding. I used 7/8″ binding and my binder attachment.
That’s it. Easy-peasy. New chart cover to protect your all-important charts.
Secret Tip: I wouldn’t recommend using basting tape. I tried it and it’s too hard to reach into the corners to take it out! I just carefully fed the vinyl through the machine. It really didn’t slide like I thought it might.